Flexible financial assistance refers to unrestricted funds used to support survivors to become stably housed.
Some examples of flexible financial assistance include:
- Transportation: driving lessons, fuel, car repair, new tires
- Child care: co-pays, child care bills
- Employment: work permits, transportation, education, training programs
- Housing: rental applications, rental assistance, deposits, utilities
For more information, read our Flexible Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions and watch our training on Flexible Financial Assistance.
- Financial reporting and the IRS: Ways to provide flexible financial assistance and grants to individuals
- Talk with survivors about how flex funding could impact their ability to receive public benefits
- Funding sources – take the time to review your funding sources to understand the restrictions, caps, and requirements
- How to distribute flex funding – create a system that allows advocates to easily request and disburse flexible financial assistance
When unrestricted funds can be given directly to survivors, they gain options for finding safety and stability as they rebuild their life after abuse. We’ve seen first hand the meaningful impact flexible financial assistance has on survivors. For example, Coldwell Banker Bain’s Bring Hope Home program enabled four agencies in western Washington to provide flexible financial assistance and mobile advocacy to survivors in their community. The work of two of these agencies is reflected in this summary of funding and impact.
- Sample tracking sheet
- Data Report from Demonstration Project Agencies
- Data Report from King County Region Demonstration Project Agencies
- Data Report from South Central Region Demonstration Project Agencies
- DASH Survivor Resilience Fund (flex fund) Core Elements and Disbursement Process
- Overview of DASH Flex Fund research and outcomes for survivors
- Flexible Financial Assistance Webinar
- Sample Flexible Funds Request Form 1
- Sample Flexible Funds Request Form 2
- Sample Flexible Funds Request Form 3