This course covers basic information about protective orders offered in the state of Washington, along with a deeper dive into Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPOs). DVPOs are not the best choice for many survivors, so be sure to pair this information with survivor-centered advocacy.
Completing this course constitutes 8 self-study hours.
Part I: Overview of Washington protective orders
In this section, we will build a basic understanding of the types of protective orders available in the state of Washington.
- Read through the “Types of Protection Orders” section of the website ProtectionOrder.org
- Review the chart Comparison of Court Orders for Washington State
Part II: Domestic Violence Protections Orders (DVPOs)
In this section, we will dig into specifics for Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPOs).
- Read through “Should I file for a domestic violence protection order (DVPO)?” on Washington Law Help
- Review this presentation on Domestic Violence Protection Orders
Part III: DVPO advocacy with survivors
In this section, we will learn more about doing advocacy with survivors who are considering DVPOs.
- Review this presentation on the role of advocates in DVPOs
- Read through “Hearing Guidelines for a Domestic Violence Protection Order” from Legal Voice
- Read through “Exploring pros and cons of applying for a DVPO” handout