Your internet activity can be tracked. If you think someone is monitoring this device, please review these technology safety tips or call 1-800-799-7233.

5-Year Time Limit and Administrative Hearings

Cut off from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) after the 5-year time limit? You can request an administrative hearing if you disagree with DSHS’s decision or findings related to your case.

Survivors of domestic violence are eligible for an extension if

  • You tell your TANF caseworker that you are a victim of domestic violence and
  • You participate in domestic violence related services (like support groups or
    individual meetings with an advocate)

Asking for an administrative hearing

  • Tell your case worker within 90 days of the decision
  • Your request can be verbal or in writing
  • You have to say what you disagree with and why

What DSHS must do

  • Document your request on a Request for Administrative Hearing Form
  • Give you information about the process
  • Send your request form to the Fair Hearing Coordinator

If this does not happen, you can tell another worker.

Any DSHS employee at the CSO can take your fair hearing request.

If you need support and want to talk to someone, contact your local domestic violence program, or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)